Thursday, May 20, 2010

Unbelievable

... that almost a year has passed since our last update here. And there's no good reason for it except the seeming acceleration of the time. Days turning to weeks, weeks to months, in a blur. There's barely time or energy to focus on the present or look ahead, forget about documenting any of it.
Of course the most important thing to report is that we're all still here. Callum turned 4 in January after a Winter that was thankfully notable mostly for its weather, and he's remained quite healthy despite two back-to-back, brief but scary, brushes with illness in the Spring. The past year his development has just rocketed forward. Last Halloween was the first noticeable milestone; kitted out in his Gorilla suit, he went Trick-or-Treating around the neighborhood in his power chair and blew our minds by being incredibly outgoing and gregarious, smiling and literally shouting "Happy Halloween!" to everyone he saw. He didn't care about the candy at all either, it seemed like it was all about the festive atmosphere and being out with all the people in the streets. This was the kid who literally days before might burst into tears at the sound of boisterous laughter, or shut his eyes at the sight of an unfamiliar visitor. I don't know why Halloween was the turning point, but since then we have seen much more of the new sociable Callum and ever less of the wallflower.
His power-chair skills have grown exponentially, and now his travels comfortably include trips to the local library and supermarket in addition to our regular neighborhood rambles around the block. He's as willful and contrary as you'd expect from any 4-year-old, which occasionally makes these outings less fun for Janet and me (I know exactly how I must sound harping on at him about staying out of the middle of the road and watching out for cars because you can't assume they'll be watching out for you). Thanks to some incredible support from Janet's mum and my sister, we were recently able to buy a wheelchair-adapted mini-van, so that now we will be able to take Callum anywhere in his power chair. Obviously this is going to be a huge step forward for him. We've only had the van for a day or so, and so far we've only been to Trader Joe's, but (for us at least) it was a pretty big deal to see him go down the aisle by himself, calling "Excuse me, little boy coming through!"
This unfortunately has to be a short post because it's yet another late night and there's just no way to easily encapsulate the last 9 months, but I wanted to be sure that, if anyone is still paying attention, I didn't let another day go by without checking in here at least to say that all is OK.
We are thankful for every day we can say that.




32 comments:

Tallis Ford said...

I'm a jawbox fan from many moons ago and found your blog somewhere around you started it. What a treat to see a post pop up in my reader this morning. Thanks for the update-- and so glad to see that Callum has even more mobility and that the winter season wasn't too tough on him. Enjoy your days and know there's folks out here cheering you all on!

Max said...

Thank you for the update and the photos! Blogging can be a dangerous pact with an unknown audience. It's good to know you're all doing ok, the details are your own private life and you should feel entitled to that privacy. But as one of the nameless horde it's still a big relief to know that Team Callum is still firing on all cylinders.

Matt "Max" Van said...

Awesome. Wishing you continued success, and yes, I still check this blog. My son is now 18, but I do remember when he was much smaller just how much time being a parent takes, and so, a post every 9 months seems about right, but I still check at least once a week.

Justin said...

Still and always paying attention. Can't believe how big he has gotten. Thanks for the update.

Pam in the Van said...

That is one cute boy. You are lucky to have him and he is lucky to have you. Nothing better than a win-win.

Pam in the Van said...

He is one cute boy and I am happy to hear that everyone is doing well. He is lucky to have you all and you are lucky to have him. A win-win for everyone. Have a great summer.

cdb said...

Thanks for the update. I know I'm not the only stranger on the internet who has wondered how things were going. I'm so glad to hear Callum is doing well.

KC said...

I am still paying attention, and my heart is so glad for all of this good news. Hurrah, hurrah, HURRAH...

SNES_CHALMERS said...

I greatly appreciate the update! Your family has been in my thoughts often and am so happy to read a positive update. When is Callum releasing his first song??

Erik said...

I'm paying attention! And it's great to read that everything is going well.

julie said...

I LOVE CALLUM! AND J AND JANET!!!!

Sally said...

I see this precious little boys smile and I have to ask you...are you, by any chance, the J. that went to Vance Elementary? I've been searching for my old buddy for many years, and the resemblance in Callum is uncanny. I'm sorry to have intruded in your lives if I am on the wrong track--all the best to you and your beautiful boy...what a challenging, incredible journey to share. If this is the J. for whom I have been searching, email sallyfish@hotmail.com. Thank you, Sally Fisher Abu Ghoush.

Mike said...

Awesome, keep the infrequent updates coming! Good to see that he has dad's "haircut" too

Zac M. said...

I still check for updates. Incredible story. Best wishes.

Spike Valentine said...

That's awesome man, soon enough the world won't be big enough for little Cal! Never Surrender ;)

Nate said...

Yep, still listening! I'm always happy to read the updates and read about Cal's progress.

Zach said...

Thanks, J. Some of us are paying attention and keeping Callum in our thoughts!

pbeagan said...

Great to see, J. For me there's always a bit of parental trepidation before checking in here, but Callum continues to be a beautiful boy.

And enjoy the "4" years: my guy is 12, but to his bemusement we keep up the preschool pics. He used to sit under the used cd racks every Saturday waiting for my foraging to end back then playing with Thomas the Tank Engine and drawing pics for everyone...

mike durgan said...

this is all very cool news. thanks for sharing / posting the update.

mike

Stefanie said...

Very, very happy to hear Callum is thriving! I check in from time to time. Sending lots of positive energy from Syracuse, NY!

jmc said...

Thanks for the wonderful update... I was thinking about Callum last night and had to check in today to see how things are going. We've never met... my daughter is a few months younger than Callum and I think of him often. Take care and thanks for updating now and again.

sean said...

callum, still at it. he looks happy.

- sean o'leary

sanae said...

Your Callum has peaceful smiles!
I respect J since 1992. So,I really hope you and your family are going well and Callum's life is getting better.
From so far way in Japan

Pixel Slinger said...

Just thinking about you and your family, Jay - and wishing you all the best.

Michael said...

i've been a listener and fan of J. Robbins products for a good lot of years now and i just read about Callum. I'm a painter and musician and have 2 little boys. My heart goes out to you and many prayers as well. If i ever hit the lottery I'm going to send you a bunch of money to help in return for all the years of great sounds you've afforded me. It's good to hear the progress he's made and i look forward to hearing more good things in his development. - Mike

dhob said...

That's fantastic news! And yes, we're still listening, thank you for the updates J. Sending you guys positive thoughts always.

-Dave

Jennifer said...

Truley awesome! What a great little boy you have! I worked for Alternative Tentacles in San Francisco "back in teh day," and am a fan of your music. I think it was my friend Adam, formerly of Jawbreaker, who told me about Callum's diagnosis after you began the blog. I now work for MDA and SMA is one of the 43 diagnoses we raise money for. I am also a summer camp director for the kids we serve. I can only imagine the challenges your family has faced/will face in the future. Hang in there! You are doing such a great job! Jennifer Fisher

Daniel said...

Just wanted to let you know that there's at least one guy still interested. Just listening to the Channels full-length for the first time; it's great!

Glad to hear everything is still going well for the most part.

Best of luck,
Daniel

Mike Padua said...

Wow, I wish I had been keeping up with these updates more regularly. I'm subscribing to this and even though there hasn't been an update in a few months, I will be alerted when there are updates.

Thanks for bringing so much joy and music into my life. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Amy M. said...

Just checking in, I had posted on my blog about Callum's benefit comp back in '07. Hoping things are still good! Best wishes to you all. :)

mister muleboy said...

Please update soon.

My thoughts and best wishes are with the Robbins family

mohan37 said...

How is Cal doing these days? I'd been following Callum before, after a convoluted path starting at Silverthree records and Cardia. I'd love to hear how he's doing.

My wife and I just had our first child, and it made me think of him.