Sunday, October 28, 2007

Well, despite our best intentions on Saturday night, Callum's schedule and the Lantern Parade couldn't be made to fit with each other. We headed out for it at 8PM - about an hour past Cal's bedtime - but in true Baltimore fashion the Parade started later than advertised and with Cal fading fast, we couldn't tough it out. He did get to see a fantastic giant almost-full moon in the clear October night sky, which I know made an impression because this morning at breakfast he said "look, there - moon!"
I realize this was our first foray with him into a big crowd too, and that made us a little uneasy - every time someone walking past would cough or sniffle, we'd kind of swerve Cal to the side and wait for them to pass - but I was really proud of Janet and myself for keeping a level head overall and not letting our worries get the best of us. The nice weather is back, though a bit colder, so we've got a few more park visits in us yet. The last 2 days since the weather lifted, Cal and I have been down at the duck pond in the afternoons. I throw breadcrumbs and Cal has taken to saying "come and get it, ducks!" and "go ducks go," which, for me, beats the Lantern Parade anyway. He is so into the Duck Pond that this evening when we visited with our friends Peter and Gillian, as we got to their door I told him we were about to see some friends and he replied quizzically, "ducks?"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember lantern parades from my childhood in Columbus, Ohio. The lanterns were made by children
participating in the parks' recreation programs, and the parades would be staged around ponds so that any lanterns catching fire could be hurled into the water. I have a feeling the Baltimore Lantern Parade is something on a broader scale? Also the days of letting kids handle something as exciting as a cardboard box with fire inside
are long gone. mcmc

Matt Bokovoy said...

I'm glad your son Cal has been out and about. He is quite a fine looking kid, and I wish him and yourselves the best. He does appear to be making some progress, which is nice to hear. Here's to many more good times and memories with him.

dj lil'e said...

um, SO cute!!!! Miss you guys - can't wait to see you all in the new pad! xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Always good to hear from you and Cal, especially because I`ve got a boy pretty much his age and I often smile about the similarities.

I`m very happy he seems to be fine and keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep us updated and hugs to the boy!

Martin, Germany

charleston said...

I love reading about Cal's progress. He conveys such a happy spirit through his photos. Here's to a happy holiday season for your family!

Anonymous said...

I came from Milwaukee to the Cal benefits in DC in April and I do my best to check back here as often as I can on all the progress and what awesome new books Cal is into. Thank you for keeping your friends, fans and supporters updated. I wish the best of everything for you guys.
- Jim

teri*sue and rich bailey said...

I can relate on some levels, and I definitely admire both of you as parents and Cal for being such a great kid. Our 3rd child has a chronic condition, supraventricular tachycardia. When he was 2 weeks old we had to rush him to Memorial Hermann Children's here in Houston where they found his heart rate was at 320bpm. That next 2 days was so frightening...not understanding if this was fatal or controllable. He tach'd many more times, but we were lucky to find what it was quickly and that it is controllable with medicine, so we were able to take him home after a little over a week. You all are really great examples of parents who stick by their child to help them be all they can be. I hope you find the strength you need to continue in your fight. Cal is adorable, and he seems like he's quite a fighter. I wish you all the best, and you will be in our thoughts!